Sakai is an open-source, web-based, collaboration learning environment (CLE) focused primarily on higher education. It is mainly a courseware management platform that provides users with learning, portfolio, library, and project tools. It operates through a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Sakai offers a:
- Repository of course materials such as documents, images, PowerPoint presentations, etc. These are typically organized into a syllabus and a series of weekly sessions.
- Digital record of student assignments submitted in electronic format
- Facility for asynchronous communication between students and faculty (threaded discussion forumss) and synchronous discussion (chat and instant messaging)
- Testing or assessment functions for online quizzes and examinations
- Resource for evaluating and grading (including confidential access to assignment grades and instructors’ comments)
UB will begin using Sakai in Summer 2011. The UBOnline Help Desk is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist you with any technical problems you may encounter in working with Sakai’s online tools. Enrolled students will be provided with an e-mail address and toll-free telephone number to reach this service.
You will receive login instructions when you register for a UBOnline course. Please go to http://ubonline.ubalt.edu to access Sakai after May 23, 2011.